The university is financially supported by Fundação Unisul and run by the Board of Trustees, a superior institution, consisting of representatives from institutions supporters of the University: The city,exectutive and legislative powers; also the civil society representatives, the University Council, the highest deliberative organ is in charge of evaluating decisions from the academic community Council.
Unisul’s organizational structure and in accordance with its Statute, consists of the following support organs: deliberative, executive and consulting.
- Deliberative: University Council
- Executive: Board of Directors
- Executive: Campus Directors
- Support: Campus Management
- Consulting: Campus Collegiate
- Deliberative: Course Assembly
- Executive: Course Coordination
- Consulting: Course Assembly Office
- Courses Support: Coordination of Academic Articulation Unit (UnA)
Unisul’s chronological trajectory dates back from 1964, near the bank of river Tubarão, name given to the city Tubarão, located southeast 81 miles away from the capital and firstly called Faculdade de Ciências Econômicas do Sul de Santa Catarina (Santa Catarina State Economics Sciences College).
Approved by the city law # 353, on november 25th, 1964, the College is annexed to the Instituto Municipal de Ensino Superior (Imes), and given a new name Fundação Educacional do Sul de Santa Catarina (Fessc).
Fessc acknoledged as a City and Federal Public University Facility then becomes Fundação Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina (Unisul). Unisul was then approved, registered and granted recognition, as a University pursuant to Conselho Federal de Educação Law # 28/89.
Unisul during the 90’s decade strongly becomes one of the biggest universities in the State of Santa Catarina, multiplying four times its portfolio of courses, Undergradutation and Graduation. A clear result of its pedagogical reformulation process as well as its territorial expansion strategy; then in 1992 the University extends its activities towards the southernmost part the State by creating the Araranguá Campus.
Great Florianópolis Campus facilities is opened followed by an expansion with creation of Pedra Branca University Town in the city of Palhoça and several other branches in the south of the State. In 1998, Laguna, Imbituba, Içara and Braço do Norte branches began their activities.
Unisul already provides courses to almost 23 thousand students, 2 thousand teachers and employees working for 54 differences courses offered. The University was in the same year duly accredited by (MEC) - Ministry of Education and Culture - in order to offer latosensu e-learning courses. A year later it was also authorized to offer e-learning undergraduation courses as well as other sequential courses.
The University created the Unisul Virtual Campus in order to manage the Institution’s e-learning teaching by offering undegratuation and graduation courses which assist more than 13 thousand students.
The University is financed by Fundação Unisul and managed by the Board of Trustees, a superior institution, consisting of representatives of other institutions supporting the University such as: the city government, executive, legislative (the mayor and the and head of the councilor’s house), also representatives of the civil society (Business Association of Tubarão, Store Owners Group and Unisul’s Complementary Retirement Program and it is up to the University Counselors, a superior deliberative organ to evaluate the decisions made by the present Counselors and the academic community as a whole.
Besides, the Institution also makes parto f the Associação Catarinense das Fundações Educacionais (Acafe / Catarinense Educacional Foundations Association) in conjunction with other relevant bodies of the State.
Education and creative and innovative management of teaching, research and extension processes so as to fully skill future citizens along their lives to contribute building a more humanized society in perfect harmony with the major science and technology advancements.
1. Unisul’s mission is to fully skill city and for such Unisul understands that:
- The student is the key part of it, and thus they have the right to participate in the next educative process, consequently becoming the focus of their teachers dedication;
- The teacher is the promoter, guide, counselor and a facilitator by their experience in the process, prepared to take on and practice such a behavior on a daily basis of their job;
- The educative process prepares the student for the job Market by adding array of responsibilities which they will have to perform within a global, complex and changing society;
- The academic and management rapports are based on humanization and clarity;
- The humanization and clarity involve the permanent exercise of participation, solidarity, cooperation, integration and sharing of responsibilities;
- That respect to human dignity is expressed by right towards continuous and fully growth of people and groups within their multiple potentialities by respecting the holistic thought, plurarity of ideas and the cultural diversity.
2. Through its Innovative and creative management practice Mission in the teching, research and extension processes Unisul understands that:
- The search for excellence at all their activities make up the essential content and meaning of the bureaucratic and managerial processes and the manner to practice humanized management;
- That Unisul’s management commits itself to an educative process through knowledge and thus contributing to a more humane society in fully tuned with the Science and technology advancements;
- That Unisul’s commitment within this construction idea will gain content by promoting the regional development in conjunction with the global and interdependent processes;
- That within this context, the institutional or behavioral changes will not become a threat but instead, an opportunity, with its main focus on updating a permanent harmony with people as the University interacting with the environment and the world;
- That management processes at all levels and sectors - the academic personnel - as well as the human, physical and financial resources, including the dynamics of changes - be all undertaken with prudence, discipline, clarity and efficiency.
3. Finally, a Unisul takes on the role it endlessly seeks while building its Mission with conscience and practice of its Values which make up its essential ethical stance, capable of creating a proper atmosphere in order to exert individual ethics, personal and professional satisfaction and construction of a better quality of life for all the University community and the environment, in which, it lives in.
Unisul, on this continuous building of its Mission and continued practice of Values until the end of 2013, it will be recognized by its quality and excellence fo their various actions and services rendered. Such a knowledge will demand that Unisul undertakes the following tasks:
1. Regarding Teaching:
- Consolidate the undergraduation leadership among the Catarinense universities;
- Consolidate the e-Learning and andcontinuous education ledearship, at national level, fully achieving its position within the virtual and globalized world, as a provider of Science and technology;
- To be the leader among the best Catarinense Universities in the business of graduation courses offered;
2. Regarding Research:
- Consolidate scientific research as priority to the university and full as well as inseparable part of the learning and teaching processes;
- Promote advanced research areas recognized by the national scientific community;
3. Regarding Extension:
- Consolidate extension as a full and inseparable mechanism of the learning and teaching processes;
- Turn extension into a tool for creating self-supported community initiatives and continuous education;
4. Regarding Management:
- Internalize modern management practices and processes in accordance with the greatness of the University and coherent in its Mission, Values and Vision.